I have just returned from a thoroughly enjoyable 6 days in Palm Springs. Back to back conferences allowed for a nice mix of business and technical discussions. Its hard not to come back not feeling super charged. These are exciting and changing times in the Esri and wider GIS/location technology worlds.
As a company we grasped the implications of both mobile and ArcGIS Online early. We’ve been pushing hard down both paths, and I will admit feeling a little alone. Its was great to see so many ‘light bulb’ moments at the conference. With these new technologies, we are truly seeing a transformation of the industry we know and love. There were so many take homes from the conference but some of mine included:
1) As a company we have emphasized our mobile ArcGIS Online expertise. We are not about to change that message, but ArcGIS Online is much about a holistic approach to providing client solutions. Mobile apps which compliment Web and vice versa. As we build out focused and targeted solutions we will be developing complimentary suites of software.
2) We still enjoy developing Flex applications. For now the technology is secure at Esri. We don’t know what the future holds, but we saw at the conference some beautiful mobile Flex apps developed by the team. Some definite French flair in there; Yann.
3) Partners need focus on COTS platform. Its now about weeks not months. Bloated apps which reinvent the wheel are gone.
4) So many new and cool things in ArcGIS Online, my head is still spinning. Particularly for mobile development.
5) Those companies who choose a simple focused path using this technology will succeed.
6) Though some of my friends have launched one; if I see another geospatial zombie game I will go crazy!