Mobile GIS is becoming extremely valuable to geologists particularly those focused on exploration. Collecting samples is a crucial part of the role of an exploration geologist, often this means working in remote areas. Pen and paper remains a common way to record sample data. Map and GIS are relatively new but offer a more accurate, more efficient data collection method. We have just completed a project with a very large mining company, implementing a mobile GIS app for mining exploration.
Mobile GIS for Mining Exploration Geologists
There were a number of core requirements for the app. It was to be used initially in remote areas of Africa. Those needs included:
– Provides both form and map based data input methods.
– This need be a cross-platform map tool that can be displayed on PC, Mac, tablet and smartphone and from any location.
– Should integrate ArcGIS with data stored in the acQuire mining data platform.
– The app should leverage the GPS on the device.
– Ease of use was very important.
– Must work offline in areas without wireless connectivity.
The work was a joint effort with staff at the mining company. There were a number of key development challenges these included:
– Pulling/pushing data from/to the acQuire system.
– Integrating ArcGIS base maps and feature layers with the acQuire point data.
– Storing and accessing basemaps, feature layers and acQuire point data for offline use.
– Providing the ability to add, edit and delete this sample point data in both online and offline modes.
This proved a very successful collaboration.The mining staff had the domain expertise while WebMapSolutions had the GIS development knowledge and skills. The application is currently in the testing phase. Feedback is excellent. The mobile app will dramatically improve the accuracy and process for collecting, storing and sharing sample data.
Contact us for more information on 801-733-0723.